Dunsmore White Pond

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  LorraineS 5 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

LorraineS
    Participant

Yes great job from every one and coffee Libby was very much appreciated. We will get there and the pond will look beautiful in the spring.

Alan’s feet were blue!! Took an hour to get the blood flowing again. lol

He said he’s putting a hot water bottle inside his waders next time lol

I’ve sent some pictures to Carol to put up.

Alan & Lorraine Smith
    Rylstone

JCEH
    Participant

Many thanks to all those who turned up on Sunday. It really is amazing how much muck was pulled out.

Also a heartfelt thanks to Libby for providing us all with refreshments. I don’t know about Alan but I was freezing out there in the middle and that coffee was just the thing to stop hypothermia setting in.

Thanks,

J

JCEH
    Participant

Hi Lorraine,

Getting everyone together is tricky. Plus, I still have an awful lot of work to do on my house so I don’t like to lose weekends when I can get a good solid day in. I figure if I do a bit at a time when I fancy a break from DIY then it’ll get done in the end. I am struggling a bit on time this week, maybe next week I can do some more one evening. Libby let me dump some stuff in her garden and said she’d help too so the will is there. If people agree a date I’ll try and pop up. Doing it while the water level is low seems a bonus too.

In hindsight I should have worn safety specs or goggles, together with rubber gloves. You never know with a pond like that if Wials disease or similar is present, especially with ducks and so forth in it; I could do without bird flu!

Any help most definitely welcome.

J

PS. I don’t like posting details on a public forum but Libby or Vanessa know where I am if need be.

LorraineSmith
    Participant

Hi JCEH sorry not sure which house you live in but great work thank you on the pond. Alan & I were waiting for the work party dates to be posted. We moved in to Rylstone (Peter Jewels) place 15 months ago. It was talked about cleaning the pond etc but then the moorhens had chicks etc. I’m on the committed but forgot to bring the pond up at the last meeting. I’m sure if an email went out from the committee/ chairman or who ever it would bring the village together and people would give up a morning etc to make the pond a focus point again. Not everyone can see or log in to the forum. I’m sure also that someone can fix the duck house. Please we are willing to help just need dates as we have our electrical business and grandchildren and now 2 18 week old Red Fox Labs!!

Alan and Lorraine Smith
    Rylstone

We are will to help.

JCEH
    Participant

I’ve made a start on clearing up the White Pond. I’ve cleared along the road. The weeds between the road and the reeds really need pulling out and the self-seeded ash that are all around the edge: otherwise we’l have a wood, not a pond. Ideally that green stuff along the edge needs knocking back to about a 6″ border ready to grow back next year.

Not sure what to do with the remains of the duck house. I pulled the bits from the water to stop them rotting and just stacked them at the edge for now.

I’ll try and find some more plants to rejuvenate the water but I need to have a think about how to protect them from the ducks first, otherwise the ducks will eat those too.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.